Thursday, February 07, 2008

CNY 2008 - The Year of the Mouse

Well, rat just sounds too boorish for me. Mouse cuter lar, ok? They call him Mickey Mouse for a reason.

An almost identical festive period that happens every year - sleeping from the wee hours of #1 at 3am; waking up at 11am and rushing out of the house to go visiting; reaching my paternal aunt's place only to realise that we're among the earliest. it's just like a wedding dinner where no one is early.

i'm surprised this year was much less crowded than before though. Many of my aunts/uncles didn't turn up. Even those who turned up weren't in their complete families. Some people were missing here and there, and i wasn't really interested in knowing where they went anyway. So, erm, there was more food for everyone else. Hooray.

Eat, drink, watch tv,. Rinse and repeat. That was basically what i did throughout the entire 4+ hours stay at the Toa Payoh residence. And oh, a few sentences of chatter with some relatives and the compulsory festive greetings. Hmm, yup, that's about it.

Proceeded to my maternal grandma's place later in the evening. Should have just done that earlier lar, then can play more mahjong. :D We kick-started a few rounds of "dry-swimming" and basically i was trying my best to remember how to play the game. We had $100 worth of chips and by the end of the game, i had lost $17. Not bad for a beginner ba. My grandma won $90+! But of course, play play only lar, so no actual money involved. :p

My maternal grandma's cooking is superb! i'm a sucker for home-cooked food, and none is greater than my popo's. :D~ The way to my heart is through my stomach with home-cooked dishes. ;)

Never really spent quality time with my grandma. The only times we visit were reunion dinners, cny bai-nians and the occasional dinner callovers. Even at my birthday chalet last year when we were supposed to celebrate hers in the afternoon, i was too hungover from the previous night's drinking to have lunch and cut the cake with her. :( So the 2+ hours today was especially heartwarming for me, to talk freely with my grandma, spending time with her and my family. :)

Oh, and of course, the annual red packet haul this year was meagre, since i didn't get to meet all my relatives today. And i'll be working on #2, #3 and #4, so that greatly reduces the chance of getting any more. But i guess my maternal relatives will pass the angbaos to my mum on my behalf, and maybe i'll get a little bit more during the house-to-house visits with my friends. Sigh.

Anyway...

Cute Mickey designs - from my parents

2008 red packet hoist from relatives

No comments: